Thursday, March 20, 2014

The cost of adventure

Pax has taught many lessons to me: some hard learned.
While I've never believed in perfection, I certainly had ideals and I've had let go of some and lessen others.
For example, our house has never been perfectly clean or organized but it was always presentable and there was always a path to walk through. lol
For the past several months, even those two things are in question. I've had many suggestions on how to do better, how we can all do better or how to hire people to help me do better.
But in the end, I choose to revert back to the philosophy I've had since Kayla was born:

"At the worst, a house unkept cannot be so distressing as a life unlived." ~Rose Macaulay

Sure, you can certainly have a tidy home and a full life, but with the amount of travel and fun our family likes to partake in, it's often a choice.
"What adventure will we have today?" This is what I would ask Kayla each morning, and then that question was asked to both Kayla and Collin and now to Pax.
Some days, like today, we're forced to stay home because someone is working on the house (today the ceiling is being repaired and painted).
But one of the reasons Tim and I chose one another is spontaneity. We don't know what Saturday morning will bring. We might take a trip to a town we've never visited, have lunch in Cave Creek, watch the parade in Strawberry or spend a night in Prescott. Pax and I might go hiking, visit the zoo or learn about musical instruments at a library event.

SO, this means coming home to dirty dishes and laundry. This means that my friends might stop by to find my counters cluttered or toys strewn about.
I used to feel a little embarrassed. But now I think, "Hey, I worked out, recorded a voice audition and went to the zoo all before 11:00 today. So my Dawn detergent was lonely. Who cares?" :)

No comments: